Friday, October 17, 2003

I DEFECT, I DEFECT!!!

Today in another attempt to solidify my commitment and move to Armenia and after giving up all hope that the Artsakh government will ever give me citizenship, I went to the OVIR in Yerevan to apply for Armenian citizenship.

I went up to the 4th floor and asked where I can apply for Armenian citizenship and the first thing I was asked is where I was from. I told the woman, who gave me a strange look and told me to go to room 409 and see Mr. Menastaganyan.

I went to room 409 and was instructed by the secretary to go in which I did.

Ara: Hello, (shaking Menastaganyan’s hand) my name is Ara Manoogian (sitting down).
Menastaganyan looks to Ara as if he is too busy to be bothered
Ara: I would like to apply for Armenian citizenship.
Menastaganyan: Where are you from?
Ara: America.
Menastaganyan: (with dumbfounded look on face) Go to room 401.
Ara: (Shaking hand) Thank you.

I walk to room 409 and inside I find a woman (I didn’t get her name) who looked like she had a rough day. I told her Mr. Menastaganyan had sent me to see her about citizenship.

Woman: Where are you from?
Ara: America.
Woman: You know you will have to relinquish your American citizenship?
Ara: I know, but do I have to do that before I apply?
Woman: You can do it simultaneously or when you get your Armenian citizenship. I’m just warning you now so when the time comes, you don’t say you didn’t know.
Ara: (with smile on face) I know and am ready to do this.
The woman pulls out a form and writes on a piece of paper what I will need. It was the same form I filled out for Artsakh citizenship.
Woman: Once you apply, it will take 6 months to a year.
Ara: That’s fine.
Woman: You will have to provide a paper that states were you live.
Ara: I live in Artsakh.
Woman: I don’t know if we can give you citizenship as we only give it to people who live here and we don’t recognize Artsakh as being part of Armenia.

I tell my citizenship dilemma to her and how the main reason they wont give me citizenship in Artsakh is because Armenia does not want Artsakh to give duel-citizenship (the law that my original papers fell under and I did make the cut off, but the President of Artsakh didn’t sign my papers for some unexplainable (to this day) reason). Now the only way I can get Artsakh citizenship today is by relinquishing my American citizenship, but I would be a fool to do that for a country that is not even recognized by Armenia, not to mention the rest of the world.

Woman: You will have to bring a paper about your work status.
Ara: I work in Artsakh.
Woman: You don’t have work in Armenia?
Ara: I live in Artsakh, how can I work here and live there?
Woman: I don’t know how were going to do this since by law we only give citizenship to people who live and work here.
Ara: I’m sure we can figure out something. Maybe I can use the Artsakh committee building on Moscovian as my address. (I guess I could also be like the majority of the population and claim to be unemployed)

I thanked the woman for her help and tell her that as soon as I can gather up the papers (which I will get from the Artsakh MFA, MIA or President's office), I will apply for Armenian citizenship and see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment