Tuesday, October 21, 2003

Sorry for not logging yesterday or the day before, but I was very busy with work in Yerevan and now I'm logging you from HOME!!!! YES, I'M HOME AND FEEL GREAT!!!!

The ride home for the most part was quite uneventful and the only problem I had was as I was coming down the hill from Shushi to Stepanagert, where after coming out of a hairpin turn, a thumping sound started from the front right tire, which I figured must have been a flat, but turned out to be the disk for the break had shattered and thank goodness it happened on a long stretch and not on a turn, as it took me 300 meters to stop the car.

I took a look to find the shattered disk, and determined that I would have to drive the rest of the way down the hill to Stepanagert without breaks, which I did by keeping the transmission in 1st gear and made my way to my Stepanagert mechanic, where we broke off the rest of the disk and placed a piece of it in between the brake pads so the other 3 tires would work. We also called my Yerevan mechanic and asked him to send us a new disk, which he will tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm really tired and today is going to be a day of rest for me (I hope) and then tomorrow I will start to do work I have neglected for the last couple of weeks.

BTW - Yesterday I went to Gyumri with Harout (DerHova) for the day. We visited the 2 orphanages and toured around (it was his first time to this part of Armenia). The orphanages were very nice and in fact their physical condition was as nice, if not nicer than my house. The director of the government sponsored orphanage, Rosanna, sat down with us for over an hour and assured us a few times that there is no corruption in the system and she refuses to believe what I was saying. This is the orphanage that Mariam, the girl featured in our story was from.

Well, I'm off to sleep and I hope it will last for the whole day, but I know this is wishful thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment