Wednesday, October 08, 2003

Today I met up with Harout (DerHova), Terry from Canada and David, our newest repatriate from California.

David is 20 years old and moved to Armenia with his entire family (5 people), as his father felt that Armenian youth are loosing their culture in America. They sold everything and are going to be building a house here and start some kind of business. A very special family I would say.

We went to the Opera park and sat in some cafe that is most probably owned by an MP. I had a chicken kebab and beer. David had a lemon Fanta and Terry and Harout had bottled water.

We talked about life here and I could not get over that David at the age of 20 felt such a strong duty to his family that he had to be here to help his father realize his dream. To me that's proof that just maybe an Armenian does not loose all their cultural values, since loyalty to family is not all that American.

Anyway, we finished with the cafe and walked over to Breeze for Thai food. David didn't really eat anything, as he had basketball practice at Yerevan State University. I guess he really didn't miss anything, as other than the spring rolls and vegetable rolls, the rest of the food was only edible, but nothing like what we had the other night. Harout said that this is a common problem here, consistency. If I had this food the night before, I would not gone there today.

I'm now working on preparing an outreach program to promote natives to adopt domestically. Besides television, radio and print media, I'm working on a do-it-yourself booklet so people can better understand the procedure and avoid red-tape.

On my way to the internet cafe, I spotted a BMW with United Nations license plates and woman having problems turning off the car alarm with no one coming forward to help her. I went over and turned her alarm off. I guess the experience was so frustrating that she asked me if I was one of those angels that goes around helping people? I told her no, just a human being who is not afraid to reach out a helping hand. She smiled and drove off. It always feels good to help people.

No comments:

Post a Comment