Thursday, October 23, 2003

Now that I'm back in Martuni, thinking that I can rest up a bit, I guess I was fooling myself, as yesterday my "rest" was disrupted by a need to go to Nungi to check on the NK Arts pottery studio, where they are now firing the kiln.

Jeff Ryan, the head of that project and I drove to Nungi to check on things and found that things were under control, thanks to the 81 year old Master, Vartan. He has been making pots in Nungi since he was 11 years old. I really like this guy, though his dialect is very thick and hard even for me to understand.

I didn't know this, but when we were sitting down for a meal and I said that 3rd toast to our lost soldiers, I learned that Vartan had lost his 3 sons in the war (another Rosa Myrig, but he still has a daughter).

The whole visit was very peaceful and I felt very honored to be among these artists, who sat and talked by candlelight.

Today I took care of some of my business and tomorrow I will be in Stepanagert taking care of NK Arts business and also finding beef bones for my dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment