Saturday, October 25, 2003

Living in a small town can at times be very interesting, especially when one becomes the center of gossip based on speculation.

A girl who I've known since she was 12 years old (she is now 19) and I just recently turned into the talk of the town and the gossip didn't start here, but started in Yerevan on the night I wrote about the guys sitting and talking about the abduction that took place a couple of months ago.

It seems that the house I was visiting the girl at belongs to a man named Edik, who owns a store that is on the outskirts of Martuni which the people here refer to as the store under the Hazelnut tree. The girl is staying there with a friend of hers and Edik is the friend's relative.

I had gone to Edik's house to pick the girl up so we could go visit with Harout (DerHova), so he could check her voice, as she has a desire to become a professional singer and has been attending Arthur Grikorian's music school in Yerevan for the last month.

I got to Edik's house about 3 PM as we were going to go, but she told me that she had to wait for some people coming from Martuni (Edik, his son and their driver Samuel). So we waited for them to come and by the time they came, it was too late to go to Harout's, so before I could leave, I was invited to stay a bit for a meal and talk.

At some point, we got a call from my Godchild Nora, who I invited to go out for pizza at Diamond Pizza (Raffi's favorite pizza place). It was already 10 PM and I had to be to the place I stayed by 12 AM, so we ordered a cab, picked up Nora, ate a quick pizza, ordered a cab again, dropped off the girl, dropped off Nora and I got to the place I was staying at 11:50 PM.

Well it seems that when Edik got back to Martuni, he spoke with the mother of the friend that she is staying at to tell her that when he got to his place, the "American" was there and the girl goes out at all hours of the night taking taxis and the night we dropped her off, he claims that she got home at 2 AM. He told the mother that they would have to ask the girl to leave. What he was implying if you didn't get it from what I have written is that he is saying that the girl is some kind of "whore" and the "American" is fooling around with her.

Now weather the girl is a "whore" fooling around with the "American" I think is quite irrelevant, since Edik's own daughter Noushik use to (probably still does) sleep around with every married man in Martuni who would have her. I mean, she even got caught a couple of times and almost ruined some marriages. On top of this, the mother of the girl, who I should mention lost her husband in the war, has also been known to sleep around with married guys too (someone mentioned that she did this even when her husband was alive), including my contractor, who after they got caught and my contractor cooled it off to save his marriage, I saw in front of my own eyes how she would hit on him. That woman a couple of weeks ago was in Yerevan staying at Edik's house and her lover (a married man of authority in Martuni, whose name I will not repeat on this site since there are some people from Martuni who live in Stepanagert that read this, though they probably already know who he is), came over to visit her there and the girl that I'm suppose to be fooling around with, came home and after ringing the bell and waiting for 5 minutes, the lover opened the door. Come to think of it, maybe it is better that she is not allowed to live there.

So now the next time I'm in Yerevan, I have to go look for a place for this girl to rent so we can freely fool around without it bothering anyone and becoming the gossip of Martuni.

Not that my name or her name is in danger of being ruined by Edik and what he has said, but I think for the honor of this girl and to set things straight, I should really go see him and at least tell him that for the record, she did not get home at 2 AM and if she did, I want to know who she was seeing from 11:40 PM to 2 AM? I wonder what he will say?

Ah yes, small town it is, and one of the things I love about this place.

I also found out tonight that the woman who claimed my dog ate her chickens, her chickens were poisoned back in August and to me her claim I will categorize as supper dishonest, one I will also mention to the school director as with the surplus of teachers these days, getting rid of her would only do us good.

BTW - If your wondering why I have not posted any pictures in the last week, it's because I'm having problems with MSN and it allowing me to download pictures. I'll get it figured out at some point.

Speaking of pictures, here is a picture that has been on the internet of me for a while. This picture was taken at Yosemite Park in Eagle Rock at the school play we did called "Horton Hatches a Whoo". I played a frog.

And this picture is a more recent picture taken in the summer of 2001. The girl in the picture with me is the girl in who this log refers to

No comments:

Post a Comment