Wednesday, March 10, 2004

Last night I went to Diamond Pizza with my girlfriend, a childhood friend from LA who has moved to Yerevan to get away from what I escaped and his date. As always, the food was good and this time we sat in the basement to avoid the live music so we could talk.

As we were sitting, we noticed that the lighting was similar to lighting have in the states, with a dimmer on the pole of the light. Everyone tried out the dimmer, which didn’t dim the light, but just turned it off. When it came time for me to try the dimmer, the waitress walked up to the table and told me to stop playing with the light!!! She did it such a way that everyone thought she was going to smack me. She went on to explain that it was not allowed. We all looked at each other and began to laugh.

My friends date is a university student and I asked her what the youth feel about or future. She said that many are optimistic and feel that things can only get better.

It seems that there is a lot of tension in Yerevan and there is lots of talk of revolution everywhere I go. There are many people who want Kocharian and Sarkissian out, and though I would have to agree with their discontent, no one has stated who will replace them if this happens?

There is also word that if revolution hits, Azerbaijan will once again start the war in Karabagh. I’m not so sure about this and if it does happen, it will be a real mess for both sides and though there is nothing good about war, there is a very good chance that we will use our big guns that Russia has gifted us and have an excuse to liberate more territory. For this reason I don’t think speculation of the start of the war is all that accurate.

Today I really didn’t do much other than catch up on some very much needed sleep and make a few phone calls. I guess I’m tried since my arrival, I have not really had much more than 4 or 5 hours of sleep a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment