Thursday, March 11, 2004

TREE TRIMMING IN STEPANAGERT

I was in Stepanagert the other day and came across tree trimming work on the main street that lead cuts down the center of town.

I had noticed a couple of trees cut a week before, figuring that they were dried trees, but when I saw that all the trees were being cut leaving a 6 foot stump it made me wonder what was going on.

Until now I’m not sure what the deal is, but know that these trees were planted long ago from their enormous height and were great shade for the 5 story buildings that line the street in the summer.

As you can also see, the wood was hauled off and you have to wonder where it was sent off to and if sold, for how much?

When I came to Yerevan, I asked why one would cut down such large trees and was told by someone in the city of Masis that the same thing happened in their city years ago and they were told to make the trees younger. Then later on, the sumps were removed and new trees were planted. They added that it’s all about wood and someone creating an economic opportunity for themselves. I sure that’s not the case in Stepanagert, because if it is, when the time comes for all accounts be to settled, this one too will be addressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment