Wednesday, December 10, 2003

Due to the bad weather today, my visit to Stepanagert was delayed and by the time I got there at 4 PM, my cold call to see the city architect about the projects didn’t happen.

I did find time to follow up on a lead about the former residence of Aghasi’s, the president’s cook who received apartment #9 in the projects by not having a home and being a large family.

I found his old apartment, which was not just one apartment, but 2 apartments in a very nice building that was turned into one large apartment. I knew the building well as it was built by the Jupiter Corporation (Samuel Babayan’s Corp.) 5 years ago and before it was confiscated by the government and sold or giving to people in need of houses, those apartments were some of the most expensive apartments at that time, going for $4 to $6 thousand dollars each.















By working as a PI in the states once upon a time, I was remembering my younger days of having to track down people and talking to helpful neighbors to get information. Just like in America, the people here were willing to give information and boy what a shock it was to me to learn that Aghasi had sold apartments #15 and #21 for a whopping $20,000+ to the son of a member of Parliament a couple of months ago, meaning 3 months after receiving apartment #9 in the projects.

When I spoke to Aghasi on my first visit to the projects, he misrepresented the facts and told me he didn’t have a residence when he was given apartment #9, when in fact he did.

So it seems clear that here is a case of someone that clearly was not in need of an apartment, but due to his connection, he not only got an apartment, but he also sold his old apartments for $20,000+ which means he probably made money on the deal and maybe even paid a bribe with some of the proceeds.

I think the President needs to be called on this one and I can see the next article in Azat Artsakh titled “President Violates Citizens Rights”. That sure will make him popular with the natives and the Diaspora.

Oh and while talking about Azat Artsakh and articles, the open letter run on November 25th by law, the President has to answer it in 15 days, which would have been today, which he has not done as of 8 PM. Once again the rights of a citizen are violated and this time it is clearly a violation by the President himself. Shame on you Mr. President!!! Your 3rd strike looks to be just around the corner.

No comments:

Post a Comment