Monday, December 29, 2003

It looks like the weather is ripe for snow and if things work out as everyone expects, I think we are going to have ourselves a white New Years.

I’ve been waiting for money to be transferred from America to my personal account and also to the Shahan Natalie Family Foundation account, which was sent last Monday (our Tuesday). I called the bank on Thursday and then Friday to be told that the money had not yet arrived.

Being that I am paying my workers a week early so they would have money for New Years, today was the day I promised to pay them, figuring that the money would have been in my hands on Friday at the latest.

My call to the bank this morning again got me the same answer I got on Friday.

I asked the worker at the bank to please call Stepanagert to see where the money is and if it was misplaced (this has happened before).

I called back after lunch to learn that the bank had been very busy and they had not yet called Stepanagert. I asked for the number to call myself. My call which I put in a half hour before the bank was to close got me an answer to call back later. I asked how much later and told the woman on the line that New Years was coming and I had to pay my workers today and I needed an answer before the bank closed. She told me to call back in 15 minutes, which I did. This time the answer was that they had already transferred the funds to Martuni and the money should be there.

I called the Martuni branch back and told them what I was told from the main branch and the poor woman on the phone said again that she had no record that I received anything to my accounts. I told her I am coming down in 15 minutes and we would figure something out.

I called my driver (I have not mentioned that I hired a driver last week since I am really tired of driving these roads) who came right over and drove me to the bank to find the front door locked.

I knocked on the door and the guard on duty told me they were closed (it was only 3:55 and the bank closes at 4:00) to which I told him that the assistant manager is waiting for me to which he let me in.

A search in the computer system showed no transfer. A called to the main branch on my cell phone told us to look for the transfer, which was made on the 25th. We looked at the log of the 25th and there was no sign of any transactions to the two accounts or to any account of the amounts we were expecting. A second call to the bank on my cell phone and 7 minutes later got Stepanagert to send a telegram on their internal system with the transfer information so the money could be added to the accounts.

I only had enough time to withdraw the money I need for paying my employees and the rest will have to wait and be a gift to the 11 families for Armenian Christmas, as tomorrow I have a full day of work.

Though this was a bank error we have never seen before, as all the other times it was the money arrived to Stepanagert and supposedly didn’t have the proper account number or name. This one was clearly a new error and I’m thinking that it is possible that was done intentionally, as there were other transfers from Stepanagert that day and if it was to only one account, I would say it was an error, but to both account that in the end comes to me sounds a little fishy.

And you ask why I think this is possible? Well because the department that handles the transfers is run by the big-wig I wrote about whose father is the Rector of Artsakh State University and the big-wig was given a house in the Projects that were suppose to be given to needy families that didn’t have a house.

Am I upset about this? Not really. If I got the money on Thursday, I would have paid everyone and left for Yerevan on Friday to be there to celebrate New Years and fallen smack dab in the middle of a snowstorm, which would not have been fun at all for me. On top of that, one one person I really wanted to spend New Years with that I was going to surprise by showing up there, came to Martuni to surprise me and if I had gone, we would have been separated on New Years, which would have been sad for both of us. So as I told the bank manager in Martuni, the “error” was in fact a blessing. Thanks big-wig, you really made my New Years a happy one.

No comments:

Post a Comment