Tuesday, December 23, 2003

Why is it that every time a disaster hits the US, I’m the last to know and it’s always my neighbor across the street to tell me about it.

She called out to me on September 11th that the Pentagon was bombed and now on the way to Stepanagert, told me about the earthquake that struck someplace in California.

As soon as we drove out of Aghdam and I had a cell signal, I called my folks and got their answering machine (it was 3am in California) and getting the answering machine meant that they had power and were probably not effected by the 6.5 quake that toppled buildings.

A few minutes later my cell phone rang and on the line was Mama Manoogian. She was fine and told me that it hit Central California.

She and my father Papa Manoogian talked with me until I arrived into Stepanagert about a bunch of things including one of our readers who sent a donation to be divided among 11 needy families ($50 each) for a one time gift to help them pay for a New Years celebration, one that they would otherwise probably not have seen.

She said that she was wiring off the money tomorrow, which means that by Thursday or Friday it should arrive here and I will then pass it on to them.

Today I met with the Mayor of Stepanagert about the Projects.

I’m really not going to get into details right now since I still have some investigating to do, but according to his list, apartment #9 was received by someone other than Aghasi and when I mentioned this, one of his assistants made a call to I’m not sure who, who then gave another name of the person who received #9 who had privatized it and sold it to someone. The whole thing was very fishy, especially since Aghasi clearly told me that he received this apartment as a large family as a replacement for a building that the government tore down where he use to live in years ago.

I should have more information in a couple of days, at which time I will write a report on what I find and submit it to Azat Artsakh.

I also met with the city architect about the projects and building in general. It was a very interesting and enlightening meeting, which every other sentence was a contradiction to the prior sentence.

All I will say right now about both meetings at this point is that the whole situation is very complicated and it’s going to take lots of thinking and digesting on my part to paint a picture that one can easily comprehend.

I’m really not looking forward to having to do so much thinking this close to New Years.

BTW, the last couple of days has been sunny and quite pleasant.

No comments:

Post a Comment