Friday, September 12, 2003

I just got home from Shushi, where the other day I had to take very unscheduled and unwelcome trip there to take control of all construction going on. To say the least, it was just not happening.

I called at 2:30 PM that day to see how things were going and was told that the crane I ordered the previous day to work 8 hours had in all loaded up and installed 5 of the 14 roofing panels and it looked like they were having problems.

I let off some steam when I asked if my cement workers from Martuni were there and was told that they didn't find them at the place they agreed to meet. I asked what time they went looking for them and was told 1 PM. Well when your suppose to meet someone at 10 AM and go looking for them at 1 PM, there is a good reason why you would not find them.

I dropped everything I was doing and drove off towards Shushi, figuring that my cement people would be someplace in Stepanagert looking for me or something, but just in case, I stopped one bus in Aghdam, that was heading for Martuni and sure as could be, Garen and Valaric were in it.

We rushed up to Shushi and got there at 4 PM to find the crane loading up on a truck panel #6. I asked what the hang up was in not so nice a tone, then went up to the job site to find that my Forman had brought in some shlop cement guy that was doing a horrible and didn't even have the right tools. I told him if he was to stay, he would be a laborer and said that the masters on this job would be Garen and Valaric.

They got to work and I went back down to make sure the crane was working and within 4 hours, we moved and installed the remaining 9 panels.

I insisted that we work until we get the base cement laid and for that we worked until midnight, with the lighting guy and I driving down to Stepanagert to get floodlights to light the work area.

Today we worked all day to get the final surface coat and a 6 foot wide staircase built from building stones so people can get on stage without having to use a ladder.

We also installed all the lights, which look great and finished all the major cleaning and other repairs.

At 8 PM, we all sat down for a meal and then I told Neery that I have to go to Martuni as I have neglected my other work to the point that tomorrow, I going to end up showing up with the other guests.

She was okay with this and it was clear that whatever work our Forman could screw up, she and the others could take care of.

I have to tell you, the whole place looks great and the stage really turned out great and only happened because of my ringers from Martuni Garen and Valaric.

On the way home Garen, Valaric and I were talking and they said that when I called the other night, they knew I was in trouble and figured I had blown up at the Shushi people, telling them I would bring in my own people to get the job done and said that they had other volunteers ready to come to make sure things were brought under control, but since I had not asked for a crew, only they would come. In fact, I had only called for Garen to come and Valaric said he would come along, just in case and if there was no work for him, at least he would see Shushi. Well I'm glad they both came and once again, it was the Martuni cavalry that saved the day and for that WE ARE HAVING A FESITVAL!!!

BTW, the festival will be televised on the internet and if nothing has changed, it will be found at www.nkarts.ktsurf.net (you may want to confirm this address on Groong.org) on September 12th and 13th from 8 PM to 10 or 11 PM (Armenian time). Be sure to tune in and sign our guest book to tell us how impressed you are with the stage (this way I will know you were one of my invited guests).

No comments:

Post a Comment