Wednesday, September 10, 2003

This morning what do I wake to, but a call from the person doing the shopping to tell me that there is no Martuni chicken in Stepanagert and they have not had said chicken for 10 days. They asked if the American hormone filled chicken legs would do? No, I tell them, try to find the imported French grown frozen chickens and if you can't find those, tonight we will feed tomorrows dinner today and I'll call the chicken farm to see about getting chickens which we can feed them tomorrow.

Though these kinds of encounters give me the feeling that the people here are helpless, it could be that they are more interested in doing the job they are given as it has been assigned to them and they don't know or fear to improvise, but I think with a little bit of work, it can be instilled in them (I sure hope so). Could this be a leftover from the old system, where you were only allowed to do what you were told, or else?

So now I'm working on getting things ready so I can be away from work here in Martuni for 4 days without returning to, though was suppose to take all day yesterday to do this, I'll have to try to pull this off in a couple of hours.

The chicken farm was not exactly on my list of things to do, but hey, were talking NK Arts and I guess I need to get use to the unexpected.

BTW, I may be logging and checking my e-mail a little bit less during the next 4 days because I may have less access to internet, but who knows, maybe I'll find the time to drop into an internet café in Stepanagert while running errands.

No comments:

Post a Comment