Friday, September 05, 2003

A reader wrote to me asking about the Tigran Nagdalyan murder case and if people in Martuni are talking about it?

No one I know is talking about this case, as I think everyone is convinced that John Arutyunyan murdered Tigran and the others from Martuni who are now sitting in jail were somehow involved.

The other night I saw John Arutyunyan's mother at a friend's house and she asked me what I thought of this whole mess? I told her it was better that I didn't say anything, as my opinion would not change things and anyway ones looks at it, it's not a good situation.

I asked her what they paid John for killing Tigran and she told me he was paid $19,000. I asked if that took care of his debts and she told me that he gave all of that money to friends and didn't even bother paying $2,000 he owed to the bank. I would guess he didn't pay the bank as to not draw attention to where he got the money?

John's mother went on to tell me of how difficult life had been for them before the murder, as John has 4 children and was also caring for his brother's son, as his brother was killed in the war. With no job, he was struggling to make ends-meat. It's clear to me that the murder as far as John is concerned was all about economics and putting food on the table. Keep in mind that John did not have a prior criminal record.

As for the recent report from Public Television of Armenia that talks about John's motives for killing Tigran being "…because Gegam Shahkbazyan another murder suspect told him that TV journalist Tigran Nagdalyan was preparing "bad reports" about Vazgen Sarkisyan…" and "The second motive was his financial situation." I don't buy this. Remember, John had 5 children to feed and when your struggling to survive, politics and badmouthing someone who is partly responsible for the economic hardship your facing, I would think in fact gives one less reason to kill that person.

I think this murder as far as John and his friends from Martuni are concerned is all about money and survival. What the people in power will play it as being I would think can only be driven by their need to weaken their opposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment