Wednesday, September 10, 2003

Tonight while I was trying to fall to sleep, I was playing some MP3's on my computer and in the dark all that was lit was the monitor on my lap-top. The light attracted a lone fly, that buzzed around.

I took a couple of whacks at the fly, not to squish it on my computer, but to maybe knock it out so then I could kill it. The fly got away and I thought that I could get up, turn on the light and in no time, I could track the fly down and kill it.

Then I thought who gave me the right to kill a fly? What did that fly do to deserve such a crewel end to it's already short life?

It made me think about how there are strong and weak creatures, as there are strong and weak nations and governments that today do the same thing.

I'm a strong believer of survival of the fittest, but I'm also a strong believer that one should hunt to eat, meaning collect only what one needs to sustain their basic needs.

Now going back to that fly and me, with me having the power to kill it and then thinking what my justification is to kill it?

Well, flies are dirty creatures that I've been taught spread disease and if not controlled, could multiply. With this as my reason to kill the fly, I have justified my actions and once I squish that little pest, I will feel better and have no remorse for my actions.

Now let's take that same situation and substitute me as being a Western power, or bringing things closer to home, let's make that powerful entity being let's say Azerbaijan and the fly being Armenia, or visa versa. One needs to crush the other because one views the other as being a treat to the others survival.

On the one hand, this behavior is very natural and justified, just like flies and people, though it could also be viewed by some who have been taught by religious belief that one must be civilized. One sure contradicts the other.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that when you mix a fly buzzing around in the dark while trying to sleep and an active mind, what you get is the mess I wrote above, though I'm hoping it at least got some of you thinking that the "civilized" world in fact is not all that civilized.

Darn, I can't believe I have not slept yet and if I don't do so soon, I'm not going to get any sleep before having to get up in the next couple of hours. Not good.

No comments:

Post a Comment