Tuesday, November 18, 2003

A month ago when I was in Yerevan visiting the girl I was accused of fooling around with and she was still staying at the house she was kicked out of, we were sitting and watching music videos on public television.

As we were watching the video count-down, the #2 video came on and as we watched these girls dancing around in their skimpy swim suits, in the last minute of the video, they started to take their tops off and rubbing whipping-cream allover each other.

To say the least I was in shock since not long before that the law had been passed to ban such programming on public television.

Well this passed and I figured it would only be this one, but no, after the count-down was over, they had some commercial for an up coming program which some woman in swim suit again exposes her breasts.

Okay I have to admit that I have nothing against breasts, but when depicted in a demoralizing way on public television with children watching, I have a real problem with that.

I asked the girl what channel this was and she said it was a channel from Russia that was rebroadcasted. Okay, being it was Russian television, I had a problem, but not as much as I would have if it was Armenian television.

A couple of days ago while in Armenia, I woke up to the sound of the television. It was 8:00 am and the girl I was accused of fooling around with was starting her morning off early with some music videos and the one that was on I think was called “French Kissing”. Yes, it was a stupid song that was full of people French kissing and as much as I may like to French kiss, I really don’t think it’s such a great idea to broadcast such videos at 8 am, when kids are watching as they get ready to go to school. On top of this, it was being broadcasted on Armenian government television. Oh and one other thing to add is that it was not just guys and girls kissing, but there were also girls kissing girls.

Now I’m not sure how the new law applies to these videos, but I think our Armenian culture and these videos that the government television is broadcasting just makes no sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment