Tuesday, November 18, 2003

Today the weather was a little bit on the warm side and when I went outside to breath some fresh air, I straddled a flock of Sparrows who were in one of my trees eating fruit.

I immediately called Jeff Ryan out to join me in the harvest of Persimmons, as last year on a day like this one, the Sparrows picked my Persimmon trees bare within a few hours.

We were joined by my cabinetmaker, who gave us some guidance and help to pick what I though would be a couple of buckets, but so far has turned into 70 kilos (154 lbs.) and were not even half way done.

Since there was so much on the upper branches that we could not reach, we cut the branch off and hung it in my storage area.

My cabinetmaker told me that from the 2 trees I have we should have well over 200 kilos (440 lbs.) and I should really think about having someone make jam out of the smaller Persimmons.

Tomorrow we will finish picking the Persimmons and will then move onto Pomegranates, which by the looks of it, my 11 trees have produced well over 500 kilos (1,100 lbs.) of which I have no idea what I will do with. Maybe I will take a trunk load with my to Yerevan and sell in the market out the trunk of my car and then write about villagers lives and how they are or are not allowed to sell their goods (I've heard about this in the past and should experience it so I can get an idea of what it's like).

No comments:

Post a Comment