Thursday, August 07, 2003

I got this message in response to last message I posted on the Yahoo Armenian-Adoption group that is the previous log posted on this site.

The message reads:

I see what you mean now about the camo paint, but the way you worded it sounded more threatening. Especially when you wrote: Ara is pissed, it's time to take out the paint....

Just be careful. It's like a colloquialism. No one else would understand its true meaning without you explaining or having heard it prior. Several of us (lawyers, attorneys, etc so not the least intelligent people you infer us to be) on the list thought it sounded threatening, not the way you meant it.

Your story about taking care of your cousin's baby was quite interesting. You must miss her.

Our adoption is complete. I only remain on the list to help people to understand the process.


I replied:

I would be lying if I said I didn’t miss her, but it gives me great comfort to know that she is in a truly loving home.

I guess one reason why I’m so vigil with this issue is because of my cousin’s adoption and me having to be mom and dad for over 2 months to a newborn who was orphaned for reasons beyond her control (as most are).

I knew from my interaction with her how smart she was and how much potential she would have in a loving and nurturing environment. I was torn with the fact that I was helping to remove her from her native land, a land that I had starved for while living in America and now I was sending someone to a place I despised.

I guess my only comfort was that I knew she would be raised with strong Armenian values and she would also one day know where she was from and why she was orphaned.

It was also understood that she would come to visit me here and be given an opportunity to know her homeland and knowing my cousin, they would never stand in her way and only encourage her if she wanted to do something for the betterment of her people.

Though all this may sound wonderful, to me it still was really not okay. I felt that she should have had a say in if she wanted to go or not, but what can a newborn tell you? Their eyes don’t say “no,” all they say is “love me.”

Through the process and with my experience in government issues, I saw how easily the system could be abused, but when my cousin adopted, the biggest issue was if my cousin and his wife were 100% Armenian and if this child would be raised Armenian. To this I was relieved to know that the people on the committee that would approve potential parents, understood their responsibility to the child they would allow to be adopted, and the important factor of the child’s genetic makeup corresponding with the culture it would be exposed to.

It was only last year that I learned that what importance was put on being Armenian in Karabagh, was not the same in Armenia and families with no idea of what Armenian is were taking our children abroad.

When I learned that the facilitators Gagik and Hasmik would let Jennifer and Edmond, a couple that I painted to be oblivious to what an Armenian is and their lack of any interest in raising the child as Armenian (which some people on this group told Jennifer that you have to at least tell the government you will raise the child Armenian, but the beauty of international adoptions is you can in fact raise the child anyway you want), and G&H were still willing to take as much as $22k for the adoption of 2 children without only Jennifer coming to Armenia and signing 2 papers and leaving, I knew we had a very serious problem. I also knew from my cousin’s adoption that we spent less than $100 on the Armenian fees and the entire process from start to finish took 12 days without any bribes being paid.

You have to understand, I didn’t do this investigation for the money, as no one paid me to do this. I did this to for the love of my God-daughter, who as an orphan, could have ended up with a life like the little girl we are now hearing about in the papers and her same-sex parents. You can’t imagine how that story eats me up inside and what punishment I wish on the Armenian authorities if they had any idea this would be the outcome.

It’s very clear to me that when I review the 100 case files of international adoptions that have taken place over the last couple of years, I will have no problem working to bring those children back to Armenia, who are now with people who illegally adopted them by fraudulent means and find them homes here or abroad that truly fall within the norms our culture and our laws.

And why does Ara do this and not the government or an organization? Well if you ask the natives here, they will tell you that all the people here are orphans in the sense that our government (in this scenario the government would be considered the parents), neglect the people (children) and are only thinking about their own personal gains. With that situation, you have a potentially lethal situation that has to be brought under control by someone and in this case that someone is me.

As for your comment about lawyers, attorneys and so on being intelligent, maybe I should keep my comments to myself, as I’ve had dealing with some of the “good expensive ones” in the states, one of whom no longer practice law because of me. Nothing I’m proud of, just something that I had to do so he would no longer steal peoples faith in the system. A couple others in that same related case were only spared the possibility of being disbarred because I had to catch an airplane to fix thing here and didn’t have time to see that case to its conclusion.

The only thing I can thank those attorneys for is to teach me how to deal with issues of law and for that reason, this adoption investigation for me is not all that difficult to manage. Thanks Knapp, Peterson and Clarke and also Ted Roberts (I’m not sure if he ever recovered from his heart problems and other illness that put him into early retirement).

No comments:

Post a Comment