Saturday, August 30, 2003

Today was another NK Arts work day, which I visited a few people here in Martuni, including my welder, who it looks like will be putting together the portable performance stage, which effectively will be 20 large tables that when put together will be 24 foot by 32 foot stage.

I took a drive out to the village of Ningi, where NK Arts has a pottery studio. I went as Neery was going out there to visit with our potter and discuss the work they are doing there and also to finalize how were going to bring water to the factory.

When I drove in, I was told that the bridge that crosses a creek had been washed out a few months ago when we had some very strong rains and that it would be difficult for me to pass with my car, as even jeeps have had problems crossing. When I got to the creek, I took a good look around and then did my crossing with very little difficulty.

I got to the studio and found Neery and everyone talking business and joined in.

We concluded that we are going to start to concentrate on ceramic tiles, as they are very unique and will be simpler to transport abroad. What we have so far are 3 designs, one being a pomegranate design which is very Armenian and very cute. I’ll have to take some pictures and post them later so those that are interested in can maybe place orders, so if we get enough interest we can put together a shipment.

We surveyed the route to run water to the studio and not that I’m a water engineer, but it was quite simple that the original plan to run an 800 meter line that was going to cost somewhere in the area of $600, we were able to scale back to having to run 350 meters and use a tractor plow to cut the trench for the pipe instead of an excavator or cutting it by hand, with the total cost of the job to now come out to maybe $150. In fact the original proposal was close to $800 and NK Arts had found a sponsor to pay that. We are hoping that the savings can be applied to other needs the studio has.

When I finished with the water plan, I headed back towards Martuni and passing the creek I did successfully, but right after the creek there was just a little bit too much mud and unfortunately, I got stuck. Jeff, our potter was with me and we walked up to the village and got his neighbor who has an excavator, to come and pull be out of the mud.

I returned to Martuni and on the way home stopped at the store to get some groceries.

No comments:

Post a Comment