Thursday, August 07, 2003

Today I didn’t get out of the house until noon, as I was up all night working on my book and answering e-mails, which lately have been coming in non-stop and I didn’t sleep until I think 5 AM.

I went to the stone factory and since the 5th had been pay-day, my workers were having khorovads for lunch. I pulled up just as they were getting ready to sit to eat and as I stepped out of the car, one of them told me “your mother-in-law loves you.” This is what they say here when someone unexpectedly shows up when people are sitting to eat and of course the unexpected guest is welcomed to the table to share the meal.

After our meal, I conducted some hands-on training of a new saw I made a couple of weeks ago. I love my workers, but one of them I keep having to tell that you can’t put a square peg in a round hole over and over again. Just before I was going to give up, he got it thank goodness.

At some point in my day, I found time to call the Minister of Culture (one of the few ministers that I actually like and feel he is actually qualified for his job) to set-up an appointment to meet with him tomorrow to discuss the up coming NKR Arts Festival, which as of 12 hours ago, I’m an assistant coordinator to. I also have to meet with the head Stepanagert Architect and the Shushi assistant regional minister to make arrangements for the festival. On top of this, I’ve also accepted the position of NKR Representative to for the Nungi pottery factory (this is part of the NKR Arts Program), which I will write about more when I get an idea of what that work will entails.

I also found time today to renew my automobile registration, which for my Mercedes costs me in all 23,200 dram (about $40) and required me to go to the bank and tax office before getting my new sticker from the Martuni chief of the traffic police. Tomorrow morning, I’m going to renew the registration on my jeep.

I know I’m forgetting to do something, but I’m so tired right now, I’m going to sleep early or for at least a few hour and then when I feel re-energized, I’ll sit back in front of my computer and do my e-mail and plug away at the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment