Wednesday, August 06, 2003

I wanted to share with you this post from the Yahoo Armenian-Adoption group.

The post reads:

Ara, which agency? I think it would important for the group to know--
especially if this agency is doing revisions without the prospective
adoptive parents' knowledge.

Unfortunately, there is no way to completely protect the children.
Someone could be paid to adopt a child then release them to someone
else. There are all sorts of things they could lie about to the home
study gal. Who would reveal something bad about themselves unless it
was part of their public record? While we are bashing the home
studies, what about the validity of the reference letters? Who would
pick someone to write a reference letter if they thought the author
would say something bad? Useless documents. The committee just has
to have faith that there is some good people out there.

P.S . you should be careful what you write on your site. That part
about getting your camo paint out could be perceived as terrorist
activity. Then you'll never get your citizenship & become PM or
President. Can you really become either if you weren't born there?
Just curious. Is it a communist country? I just wondered since som
many times you referncen how proud you are to be such. Educate us
more about this region of Nagorno-Karabaugh.
P.S. A relative of mine just funded & designed a better water system
for a little town in N-K. :)


I replied:

From a legal standpoint, until we finish our investigation and publish our findings, the agency in question is only suspect, meaning that it would be unethical to name them now.

I would advise anyone adopting to be in tune with what your agency or facilitator is doing with your papers and if they offer to do you a favor as you read in the letter I received, I would suggest that you get them to sign a paper that states that this favor is legally acceptable and within the laws of international adoptions and the country you are adopting from. But remember, in the end, agency or not, those adopting are going to be the ones that have to answer to any violations, and that paper is only going to give you grounds to sue the agency for recouping the damages you suffered as a result of their error. I say play it safe, don’t accept any favors and when it comes to your adoption documents, don’t conceal anything or it could come back later and haunt you as it may that same-sex couple. You would feel very bad if you lost custody of your child and faced criminal charges because you allowed someone to do you a favor that fell outside the law.

The reference to camouflage grease-paint does not imply that by taking it out of the closet that I would engage in terrorist activities (as much as an overly paranoid and imaginative American public would probably see it). It should be interpreted as a more symbolic and spiritual way of saying, “I just want to blend in and not been seen right now so I can think about what I need to do next.” Considering I really want citizenship more than anything else from this government, it would be really stupid of me to perpetrate a terrorist act on a country that I want to live in. It does not take genius to figure this one out.

Can someone who was not born here become President or Prime Minister? Well, the present day Prime Minister was not born here as far as I know. According to the law, if you are a citizen living on this land for 10 consecutive years prior to the presidential election, you are eligible to run for this office. Truth is, I’m really not interested in the job of President or Prime Minister, but I’m also not interested in being anything less than a real full-fledged citizen of this wonderful country I call home.

If you have followed my readings, you will see that in no place do I claim to be a Communist. I am in fact a member of no party here in Armenia or Karabagh (and have no plans on joining any of them in the near future). As for your question if Karabagh is a Communist country, it use to be prior to the fall of the USSR, and now, they say were a democratic nation, but as the President told me back in May of 1999, the people here don’t know what a democracy is and that the need to be educated. I’m really not quite sure what scale the President uses to measure democracy, but if you ask me, the only democracy the natives have today is only in name. I can say that from experience that someone like myself can speak their mind (within the limits of the law) without being prosecuted, so in those terms, it is a democratic nation.

Anyway, if your interested in life here, you may want www.cilicia.com or www.AraManoogian.blogspot.com every now and then as when I have more information about the adoption topic, I’ll be posting in there.


Ps. Is your relative the one that designed the water system himself and got the villagers to help with the work?


No comments:

Post a Comment