Wednesday, August 27, 2003

I was in Stepanagert for the last 24 hours dealing with NK Arts work. It was very fast moving and there is so much to be done before the 12th of September, which is when were having our annual festival in Shushi.

Last night we had a dinner meeting with all the people who are work for us or with us, along with the minister of culture. We discussed what everyone will be doing and my main job is to keep track of what people want to spend and approve or disapprove.

I got an estimate for the electrical work from my coordinator and after reviewing it, I called my electrician from Martuni who also gave me an estimate based on the work over the phone and he will do it for 30% of what the other electrician will do it for. I also went shopping for the materials and found that the estimate was $200 more than what in fact it should have been. So it looks like my electrician will go to Shushi and do the work for us with the materials that we supply.

Same thing went for wall restoration, plastering and painting. It was twice as much as it should have been, but since we are doing hands on management, were not going to let anyone take advantage of us. I guess some people figure that since it's not our personal money, then why would it even bother us to not agree to let them claim unnecessary work.

Anyway, I can't wait for the festival to come and go, so I can pay more attention to my other work, which unfortunately I've been neglecting a bit.

The weather here is very hot. I got back to Martuni to find that it was 42c, which is over 100f. I turned on the air-conditioning and am now waiting for the house to cool down a bit and then take a shower.

I read Alex Sardar's log in cilicia.com and will just say that he has the right idea and we all have to be more active in making needed change.

Oh I almost forgot to mention that I finally got my television interview out of the way. It was very interesting. The format was defiantly different from what one would expect in an interview, as it was a more philosophical conversation rather than the same boring questions I'm use to getting in an interview. The whole interview too place in my car with me driving the streets of Stepanagert. They will air it here in Artsakh next week and then send a shorter version to Armenia, which may also be aired on satellite. So for those that are wondering what I look like, here is your chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment