Friday, August 15, 2003

Today was a wild day with me running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off.

I got an early start to go look for a water pump, as we are having problems with a lack of water at the factory and I need to pump water from a stream that runs along side the factory. To say the least, after trying 3 different pumps, I didn’t resolve the problem. There’s always tomorrow.

I stopped by my house between searching for water pumps to make a couple of calls and to check my e-mail, as I was waiting for instructions from the NKarts people in the states and all I can say is the more I get into this project, the more excited I get. There is so much good stuff to do and I’m getting a chance to practice my resourcefulness skills of working on putting together something big with a very small budget. A real challenge that I know I am up for.

A welder today stood me up for some work on the factory, so I had to scramble to find another welder, which I did. Eric, the replacement welder was unavailable 3 days ago, as he has given up smoking cold turkey and was not feeling well then. He came and took care of all our welding needs. I’m hoping that for the NKarts project, we will use Eric to make chairs, tables and lighting fixtures for a café we are renovating in Shushi. This is one of our ways of making something out of almost nothing. Making these fixtures out of square reinforcement rod will give the café and the surrounding lights an old look that will kind of match what could have been in Shushi a few hundred years ago and probably cost us what it would have back then.

I got a call from the police today, telling me that I was invited to visit the head prosecutor’s office in Stepanagert tomorrow morning. Before I remembered an appointment I have tomorrow, I accepted. I then called the prosecutor’s office to see if I could reschedule for a later hour or another day. I was told it was no big deal and all I needed to do is call the head prosecutor’s office in Armenia, as they needed some information from me. I called and though I can’t tell you what the conversation was about in detail (think adoptions), the thing that pissed me off was that I get a call in the afternoon and am expected to drop everything I am doing to drive out to Stepanagert to call Yerevan. Would it have been too hard for them to just tell me to call Yerevan? I’m almost sure this is another situation where the Stepanagert people just wanted to meet me to see who I am. This happened a couple of years back with the head of the traffic police.

I went to the mayor’s house for a BBQ tonight and after we watched the news, which one of the main stories was about a Russian couple that tried to sell their child for $1,000 and agreed to sell it to an undercover police officer for $600. They got caught and are now facing some very serious charges. They claimed that they needed money to pay their rent and living expenses. A very difficult situation and something that some people in Armenia are unfortunately going to possibly be facing soon.

Tomorrow is another full day of work and I really have an itching to go out to my lake, but I know for sure I wont be able to. Darn!!!

Time for sleep, this after checking my e-mail and sending of answers. This could take an hour or so.

No comments:

Post a Comment