Wednesday, August 06, 2003

ON GOING INVESTIGATION MAY PUT INTO QUESTION LEGITIMACY OF INTERNATIONAL ADOPTIONS WORLD-WIDE

I want to share with you a letter I received from one of our readers who has been following the adoption story and is also in the process of adopting a child from Armenia.

What she states below has to be the most disturbing news I have received so far since I’ve started this investigation 9 months ago.

I believe that if I uncover what she told me in her letter, it will put an immediate stop to all international adoption in Armenia, until we can get things under control so potentially dangerous people are not allowed to adopt our children.

I also believe that this will effect the way things are done in America and other Western countries in respect to international adoptions, not to mention close at least one unscrupulous adoption agency.


Dear Ara,

I have read your blogspot on the lesbian couple. Very sad for the child. But guess what.... if they went through an agency to do the home-study (say in their home-state) and then they submitted the home study to the adoption agency (say agency name omitted say out of state in state name omitted) , well then agency name omitted just rewrote the home-study because they have licensed social workers and they TOOK OUT anything that might have been questionable, such as being a lesbian.

Agency name omitted gets the reworded home-studies translated and then they submit them to the embassy as official home-studies, so the adoption committee sees only a bunch of spoon fed junk that the agency wants them to see. The only people that see the real home-study is INS, because they require one. But of course that could be altered too.

I know this is a fact, because when I was talking with my friend name omitted (she is adopting a baby currently through agency name omitted) about the fact that my husband and I have minor stupid stuff in our home-study, which I don't even know why the social worker put that stuff in, she was crazy in my opinion and then she (the social worker), was fighting with me because I wanted her to take it out and she wouldn't.

The stupid stuff had nothing to do with me or my husband or the adoption, such as the fact my dad is living with his girlfriend, he is 78 and she is 83, because IF they got married she would lose her first husband's benefits. By the way they are a sweet couple and I love his "girlfriend" dearly, plus my mom died almost 20 years ago, so this is not a big deal.

Anyway, name omitted said to me that she had stupid stuff in her home-study too, but that agency name omitted WAS REWRITING IT and that the adoption committee in Yerevan would never see the off-color stuff.

Pretty disgusting, I bet this is what happened if the lesbians went through an agency and if they didn't, then they could have had their translator omit that part and if the Embassy didn't pick up on the Translation being different from the actual English version, then the adoption committee once again would never have seen it.

Agencies such as agency name omitted are licensed to do international adoptions but they can only do home-studies for people that live in the same state(s) that the agency is licensed. That is why me and others get home-studies with some other local agency and send all the documentation to the actual out of state adopting agency like agency name omitted. But for some reason the embassy doesn't realize this and accepts psuedo home-studies from agency name omitted, for some people that agency name omitted never actually did a home-study for and that don't live in the same state as that which agency name omitted is licensed. Agency name omitted even tells you on their website that they can only do home-studies for people living in state names omitted, because agency name omitted is not licensed elsewhere.

Paraphrasing of documents to one's advantage is not new when it comes to the adoption papers. For example, since you know my husband and I were married before marrying each other, well I was concerned at the implication of being divorced and the expense of translating and verifying divorce decrees that were probably 50 pages in total. Do the math.... at $70 per page ($40.00 embassy verification, $30 translation minimum), then the divorce papers alone would have cost at least $3500, which is outrageous. Not to mention the cost of all the other papers.

So when I called the attorney in DC that the embassy recommended to do translations, he said that he would paraphrase the divorce decrees, which I was thankful for because they had a lot of stupid stuff in it, like in my case which person gets which pattern of china, who gets the fine crystal, who gets the vacuum cleaner, etc. Anyway he would paraphrase it down to 1 page per divorce, just enough to state the important stuff such as the marriage dates, divorce dates, and legal decision granting divorce with judge's name. That was really cool as it would save a lot of money.

However, SUPPOSE if a person was a violent person (just not criminally violent) and that was the reason he or she had gotten divorced as stated in their divorce decrees, well then that fact might never have made it into the translated copy.

Ditto for a home-study. A typical home-study is also several pages (about 10 or so) if done right. Agency name omitted paraphrases them to save the adopting family money in translating and verification, but in the process also takes out negative stuff.

One more thing, every legitimate agency that does a home-study must state the names of all the adults living in the home with the perspective parent or parents, each of those persons must be fingerprinted and a criminal background investigation is run. This is the law and this is required by INS.

No comments:

Post a Comment